Monday, November 16, 2009

Awaken the Muse Within

"You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance." Psalm 32:7

Gathering from the beige 1980's minivan parked a foot from the curb today on 73rd Street and the sixty year old Asian woman with a maroon skull cap singing at the top of her tiny little lungs...(all 4"10 of her) to the blaring through the window seams Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy bright and early this morning..she was looking for some inspiration to take on the day.

Nine hours later, on the same stretch on the Upper West, a huge dark skinned black man with dripping jerry curls to make you blush got out of a beat up white Dodge work van with a tool belt sagging around the bottom of his already saggin ass, belting out country boys Rascal Flats loud and clear for the rushing home hood. Yet, another brother mustering enthusiastic energy from the tunage.

All proving stereotypes are hard to form here as we all sing our theme song blues.

Here is one (of many) of mine.

"Until you've seen this trash can dream come true,
You stand at the edge, while people run you through.
And I thank the Lord, there's people out there like you,
I thank the Lord there's people out there like you.

While Mona Lisas and mad hatters,
sons of bankers, sons of lawyers,
turn around and say, "good morning" to the night.
For unless they see the sky, but they can't and that is why,
they know not if it's dark out side or light.

This Broadway's got, its got a lot of songs to sing,
if I knew the tunes I might join in.
I go my way alone, grow my own,
my own seeds shall be sown, in New York city.
Subways no way , for a good man to go down,
Rich man can ride, and the hobo he can drown.

And I thank the Lord for the people I have found,
I thank the Lord for the people I have found.

While Mona Lisas and mad hatters,
sons of bankers, sons of lawyers,
turn around and say, "good morning" to the night.
For unless they see the sky, but they can't and that is why,
they know not if it's dark out side or light."

Sir Elton John

If ANYONE is reading...
What gets you off...and rolling?

No comments:

Post a Comment