Friday, November 13, 2009

If You've Got Love..

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 1 Corinthians 9:4

John McEnroe was a winning player and perpetual whiner.
His spoiled bratty tactics earned him a notorious reputation and a name in the tennis history books. Raked it in competitively and doled it out in fines. Today, those same precocious pouting tendencies shaved two hours off of my already fourteen hour day in tight black pants and an NYPD badge as he refused to sign his contract on the SVU set and they cancelled his scene just like that.
Won't work in this court. Plan B....

You know the scene in St. Elmo's Fire when Estevez' character Kirby Keager has been longingly chasing after the soft bouncy curls and china doll skin doctor? He humiliates himself soaking wet from an eve of stalking in the cold rain and she gingerly takes him in and vulnerably discloses to him that while she thought the softer side of her got into medicine to help others, the truth is she realizes it's more about the money.
That is spot on.
Standing on cobblestones in the long wind tunnel of The Police Plaza at City Hall in heels. I'm frozen to the bone. And there are over four wardrobe assistants carrying around puffy coats to throw over the principals actors shoulders between takes while the prop guys rush to set up a heater under Mariska's ass. I stuff the hand warmers into my bra giving my detective look a more voluptuous lift and suck it up.

When I question what I am accomplishing in background at minimum wage, I resonate with the solid advice of another sports great reminding me I will always miss 100% of the shots I don't take. They are making $250K an episode now but they started on the sidelines.

Yep, there is mad money to be made here so I keep my eye on the ball and stay in the game.

Or would you rather throw in your racket?

1 comment:

  1. You ought to tell the McEnroe story to Page 6, anonymously.

    It would be interesting to see how many regular show leading players did extra work.

    ReplyDelete