Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Same Old Song and Dance

"They make many promises, take false oaths and make agreements; therefore lawsuits spring up like poisonous weeds in a plowed field." Hosea 10:4

It took 410 days to construct the magnificent Empire State Building that towers over New York. It's been 365 days since HOPE was voted in and yet we're still waiting for the miraculous architects plans.... **

On this election day... I worked White Collar while enjoying a multi million dollar Hudson view. Played Old Money. Wore a Cameo. Hung my head that I'm not exercising my immense patriotic privilege. I regret to admit the latter.
Strolled down Bleeker past the Marc Jacobs and in the normally dressed window hung a 10 x 10 foot poster of Barak OBama's head that looked like static and blasted across his eyes said.
" You promised, I voted, now deliver."

I've been wondering why I am constantly drawn to the New York Post. I thought for a while it was the mere 50 cents, then I dwelled on the notion of maybe I continue to pick this paper for its compact and handy handling squeezed in on the subway. I found myself often agreeing with the writers and not pulling my hair out as I skimmed the editorials. But today, my reoccurring attraction to the publication became crystal clear. It's owned by our favorite Aussie, Robert Murdoch and doesn't incessantly sing our President's praises. In fact, instead of blowing brown nose honey, it often calls a spade, a spade.

Now America has changed...clearly.
But I know, I would rather be revered with respect than liked by the masses.
And I would want the exact same from my president.
I told a gentleman I was never allowed to address Ronald Reagan as anything but Mr. President or President Reagan. This was my middle class Texas born father's rules. But he was right.
The highest office in the land should command reverence and esteem.

But...

29 speeches on healthcare while the American public scrapes together taxes?
Accepting a premature Nobel peace prize for promises (Oscar for a trailer) JP
Taking photos of dead soldiers while the live ones are waiting in harms way for reinforcements?
Gallivanting off to Chicago to once again stand side by side with Oprah to root the Olympics in Chicago? **

"You know, if I listened to Michael Dukakis long enough, I would be convinced we're in an economic downturn and people are homeless and going without food and medical attention and that we've got to do something about the unemployed." Ronald Reagan

MMMmmm. Do something Mr. President.

Virginia and New Jersey have spoken.
But you be the judge, is he growing into the job?



** Facts taken from New York Post Columnist Andrea Pseyer



No comments:

Post a Comment