Sunday, November 29, 2009

Calvary's Tide

"The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt." Exodus 12:13

Yeah, I get it. It's not often I quote Old Testament as I understand the initial reaction it incites. But this glorious story in Exodus is the precipice for my faith and underlying proof that from Genesis to Revelation, The Bible tells the story of Jesus Christ. And since I was the butt of many "Jesus Take the Wheel" jokes Thanksgiving night, I thought it was appropriate to tell just exactly how long He has indeed been driving.

Now, every Jesus Christ believing Christian remembers the time they surrendered their life and control to the Lord and the immediate peace that overcame them.

I don't remember hearing the Passover Story for the first time but I will forever remember its impact...as mine is as vivid of a memory as if it happened this morning....

I'm sitting up erect on my Great Muppet Caper sheets in southern Indiana, restlessly looking out at the wind blowing the six acres of deep dark woods behind our house on the hill. I'm seven years old, shaking uncontrollably with doubt and fear. My crippling concern was that the Angel of Death would pass over our stand alone home and the blood of the sacrificial lamb would not be displayed on our wooden door frame.
For a little girl, the terror of dying is incapacitating. I close my wet eyes and tell the Lord I love him and ask Him to please come into my heart and protect me and my family.
With that the wind ceased, my heartbeat slowed, and a beautiful hushed stillness took over...

"For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." Revelation 7:17

Sitting in City Light Church service, the pastor only needed to mention the Blood of Jesus and my worries, woes, anger, and angst of today were perfectly pacified.

-There is Power, Power, Wonder Working Power
In the Blood of the Lamb.
There is Power, Power, Wonder Working Power.
In the Precious Blood of the Lamb.- Lewis Jones 1899


Could you live daily His praises to sing?



No comments:

Post a Comment