Sunday, November 1, 2009

Run For Your Life

"To shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace." Luke 1:79

Forty-thousand
determined able-bodies rose this morning to cover 26 miles and five Burroughs in the perfect fall running weather.I cheered for Italians, Brazilians, Scottish, Ethiopians, Thai, New Zealanders, and Masai warriors from Kenya, all inspiring me with every stride.
But for the first time in 25 years an American crossed the finish line first. Victory is ours.
Let's here it for a 4.9 minute mile....Can you feel the legs cramping?

If you've ever been to New York City as a tourist you have most certainly been to 42nd Street, Times Square, Bryant Park, Grand Central Station, United Nations, and various legendary Broadway theaters all call it home. In this excursion you would have dangerously brushed up against sweaty strangers, received multiple and painful "flat tires" from the hurried lot, and navigated around clueless groups of visitors who think stopping in the middle of the sidewalk is a viable option.
Beneath the constant chaos is a long transfer passageway which accesses all the trains from East to West. It's comprised up of a confusing network of tunnels that run for blocks.
I decided to go underground to escape the light of day madness...

A man on my heels quickly sidles up to my left side with the feasible option of pinning me against the subway tiled corridor. He bears a striking resemblance to Lamont Sanford except he's missing his two front teeth and has a soggy roach between his lips. He asks me if I know the quickest way off this crazy train. And if there is an easier way to something better.
I looked at his tight argyle v neck sweater and camel colored leather jacket and ask...
"You mean Eternity?"
He smiles that toothless grin and tokes down the last bit of burning ganja.
"Yeah."
I tell him our time in this chaos is brief and to hold on a little longer.
He nods assuredly.
Step for step he matches my stride but as the space between me and the dirty wall draws tighter my heart rate quickens. Just as I become acutely aware he is nudging me to the 7 tunnel. I stop the race and ask him WHERE EXACTLY does he want to go?
It is at this moment I witness true fear in his eyes. He was counting on me to indeed lead him off this crazy train.
He stutters...."Do do do you know how to get away from all these people and lights, I can't take it anymore, I'm losing my mind."
I point to the 1 train and tell him to take it to the last stop, sit by the water, and pray.
That's where I find momentary peace.

As I hightail it away...He says with a life saving conviction...THANK YOU.

They says Epsom Salt is a cure all for aches of the body, how about an unsound mind?



No comments:

Post a Comment