Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Clan

"They are joined fast to one another; they cling together and cannot be parted." Job 41:17

“In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future.” Alex Haley

Feeling the residual pangs of a long weekend and the discontentment of the restless spirit I remain to be...

This afternoon I listened to a lovely story about a 35 year ritual where all of the happy mom's and dad's, rosy cheeked aunts and uncles, anxious sons and daughters, and rambunctious cousins alike all take the pilgrimage to Nana and Poppy's house to gather in harmony for the festive season, embrace with heightened glee, and whistle Zip Pe Dee Doo Dah around the trimmed tree.

Drinking my coffee black due to sour milk, I am still trying to wrap my brain around the concept of Home for the Holidays. For the last twenty- two years I have jockeyed parents, driven miles, and sat at a blended table with steps, half's, exes, and a not so healthy combination of the three and now more than ever, I realize how much I crave one nuclear unit. Yep, a cozy plaid clad hallmark card next to the blazing fire and ice cold spiked turkey nog up to our plastered smiling lips. One where family comes to me, I call the shots, determine the play list, laugh hysterically and fly the freak flag continuously.
I want four walls filled with family that resemble a net of safety.
But a steady rock I do not tread.

In the interim, it's just another next to normal day.

Is family really a haven in a heartless world?

No comments:

Post a Comment