Sunday, February 8, 2009

Best in Show

"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes... For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written. The righteous will live by faith."Romans 1:16-17

Forgive me as I attempt to conceptualize my thoughts in black and white after an absolutely brilliant day like today. I might dance from point to point.

The Apostle Paul says he is not ashamed of the gospel. Gospel meaning Good News. Our news media of modern times. What has already occurred, not advice to take or ponder. It's the Daily Herald. The Daily News.
So I learned at Redeemer Presbyterian Church this evening way up on the WEST Side. These are the verses that changed Martin Luther's life as he meditated on them and finally realized the difference between law and grace. A man who murmured at God and his righteousness. He broke through and transformed his message...How easy. Righteousness is a gift to those who believe. Like a medal, righteousness is put upon you the second you believe but works instantly through you. Thank you Dr. Tim Keller for your message tonight and to the people of New York. I shall return.

Met my mom today as she is visiting for the spectacle called The Westminster Dog Show. Wow, if anyone thought otherwise that Christopher Guest is sheer genius, you have never witnessed the true energy of people coming to NYC for the real Best in Show. Every breed, body, and birthright was represented at the Pennsylvania Hotel today.
I broke off from the excitement to Borders Books before heading to the evening service. Just as I was delving into how to cut your 40 hour workweek into 4 hours, I was approached. Mind you, I am sitting in a corridor at the end of the shelves snuggled up on the floor quietly.
"Excuse me, I know you are busy but do you know about the personification of the female in the bible?"
"Why sure", I said. "Proverbs 31."
"Oh, so you believe in our Mother God?"
Here we go...
The couple proceeded to point out to me every time the word female appeared in the Old Testament and every time the word bride appeared in the New. He would read a passage and ask me to finish it. Did I know that really it's our Mother God? Jesus isn't really the son but daughter...
I explained that I was a Believer in my Savior Lord. He questioned if I was a believer in the bible... and that when Jesus descends from the heavens, he will look like a typical bride in white.
They went on to tell me that in the bible when Jesus talks about Jerusalem, he isn't talking about the one in Palestine. OOOPS, do what? Welcome to Mother Earth...
Verse after Verse in the middle of Borders Books they kept asking me to accept the mother of all creation.
I paraphrase but bear with me. I told him that while God is not defined as a definite gender that I believed in the Son of God. And regardless of their geography faux pas, I heard their message and what was the name of their church, I would like to visit.
He proceeded to slam his bible shut and tell me NO! I was given the chance to believe in the Mother and I didn't...I wasn't welcome.

Here is what the monk, Martin Luther learned. No more law, no more rules. His grace is our salvation and its ours the moment we ask. All of ours. All of us. Ain't no shame in this game.

What other honor could be greater?

No comments:

Post a Comment