Saturday, February 7, 2009

Say What?

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you. 1 Thessalonians 4:11

New York City has a pretty specific noise pollution code. The number one quality of life complaint from New Yorkers is too much noise. There are the jackhammers in the street, car alarms blaring, brakes screeching, music rocking, garbage trucks grinding and the subway screaming under our feet. The new law enacts that taxi drivers aren't allowed to use their horns except in a situation of serious danger. Lots of danger on these streets. Friends at home wonder why I don't answer my cell. My answer, I can't hear it ringing..."They", the all knowing say that our lives are endangered so drastically by noise that we are getting sicker, more anxious, and even dying.
I have to wonder with over 1,000 calls coming into the hot line about the level of sound, why does EVERYONE wear headphones while riding the calmest place I've been...the subway. Dead calm I tell you.
So this afternoon, I found refuge from the beautiful cacophony and walked west to the Hudson River. Absolutely gorgeous. There is a running and bike path that runs right along the water. Its accompanied with landscaped green space, wood decking, stunning views of the Statue of Liberty, park benches, and for the most part solitude. I sat down with my hot cup of java and watched the ducks diving underneath the icy surface. And the tide carrying a Styrofoam cup across and into my peripheral. AHHH nature. I walked further north and stopped in to watch a crew of kayaks loading in front of a odd building that resembled a jailhouse guard tower. When I asked a public works worker what it was, he said one of four ventilation structures for the Holland Tunnel, the last one is in Jersey. I peered out across the spans of the river and tried to imagine the noisy bumper to bumper exhaust that existed right below where I was standing. Shhhh my anxiety level is subsiding.

This Saturday eve, I met my friend from Elementary school on East 23rd at an appropriately named, The Blender Theatre and much to my surprise the marquis read this: "School of Rock, Tribute Wars." Inside was enough to make the city that never sleeps and all of the Environment of Council's blood pressure rise.
Pantera and Metallica tribute bands bringing an onslaught of in your face head-banging decibels. Rocking it and Loud..... Nothing like speed death guitar to mellow my mood. Now, if I can just get rid of the incessant ringing in my ears.

"Come crawling faster, Obey your Master..your life burns faster"

Is your life so loud, you've quit listening to His voice?

No comments:

Post a Comment