Thursday, February 5, 2009

Connected to the Vine

"Its leaves were beautiful, its fruit abundant, and on it was food for all. Under it the beasts of the field found shelter, and the birds of the air lived in its branches; from it every creature was fed." Daniel 4:12

Here's my best attempt at comparing horticulture and fairy tales.
Much like our nation's economy in the mid 90's...Peaches and Goldilocks preference is not too hot, not too cold, but just right. Dormant Peach Trees need a required amount of "chill hours", where the temperature drops below 45 F in order to bloom in the spring and later produce luscious big fruit...The problem with cold weather and peaches is this...If it gets too cold "bud hardiness" occurs. In a freeze, the buds snap off, no fruit can that strong leafy tree provide. Today in 16 degree weather plus windchill, I can empathize.

For over two weeks now, I have been an alien resident in this beautiful city. I have pulled on my long underwear and up my boots, I have braved the weather and journeyed east and west. I have called, faxed, emailed, posted, submitted, and solicited. I've been a yes girl. Venturing out and open and willing to most opportunities. In the most dignified of ways. Last night I walked six blocks to Lower East side to listen to comediennes knock conservative Christians. Not very original....
Today as the wind speed reached 14 mph bringing it with it a maple syrup smell from Jersey (Ask Bloomberg), this peach chose to relish in her chill hours, not too cold, not too hot but next to the spitting furnace in my sweatpants refusing to take on the elements. I hear the prospective buds snapping now...
A friend who owns his own company, consulting and providing IT services is experiencing an influx of clients and his business is flourishing. Hallelujah! There's hope. But as he was addressing a customer on the phone about how $100 is your average night out in Manhattan, I admit... I started to worry and when I worry, I pray.
This is Freedom from Fear. The promise I got, as long as I remain in Him, He will remain in me.

My husband called me today with blessed news. He rented our house in Atlanta. Somebody else is going to pay our mortgage and a burden is lifted. It's official I'm definitely staying put.
When we hung up, my phone rang again...this time a job, working on a new show called Kings, another modern day David vs. Goliath struggle in a metropolis. Bring it on.

Looks like I'm bearing fruit. As far as the cold snap, I'm one of the hardy varietals.

Fear. Does it motivate or debilitate?

1 comment:

  1. As I said before...........don't take the subway :) and I guess you walk most places. Have fun up there........

    ReplyDelete