Saturday, February 14, 2009

LIVIN'

"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun." Ecclesiastes 8:15

King Solomon, You are too wise.
Here is what I love about New York City. On Saturday's and Sunday's...most restaurants don't start serving until 11 AM, so you can roll out of bed at 10:30 and be the first one sitting with a cup of steaming black coffee in front you.

Today, that is exactly what occurred. My sister and brother-in-law rolled into Grand Central at about 10 this morning from Western Massachusetts. I jogged a few blocks to a local haunt on West Broadway, $15 dollars for lemon-ricotta pancakes and met them at the door.
The gorgeous German hostess told us, "it's empty because Valentines, the lovers are sleeping in..." Ohh
We ordered our rare steak and Gruyere omelets and settled in with elbow room for catch-up.
Now let me preface this story, I am starstruck but as I am slowly integrating myself into New York, when in Rome, I must do as they do.
Over our seriously priced menus, I looked up over Lisa's shoulder and...Leonardo DiCaprio and his Valentine (mama) came in the front door and sat right behind me.
And y'all he was wearing a Georgia Bulldog hat...
Now, I don't know if you have seen The Departed but this is one of my all time top films and what a stellar performance he brings. See it, believe it. WHEEEEE! A New York Moment.
I know what you might be saying, he's just another person but there is no way in God's green earth US Weekly is still in business if the majority is not fascinated by a sighting such as this. Thoroughly satisfied with decadent meal, excitement, and three glances over my shoulder, we walked a few blocks to Greenwich Village.
With just one day in NYC, you have a lot of ground to cover. 10-12 blocks later,( including Ground Zero and Battery Park)) on a Saturday, we bellied up to a marble bar and a few IPA's , sesame pretzels, gourmet pistachios and gut-busting laughs later, red nosed, we limped to Washington Square park to bid our goodbyes...

On my way home through Soho's one lane streets, I was smiling ear to ear. It is so easy to catch this spirit. The energy is addictive, the drive admirable, the food divine, and oh yeah, did I mention Leo (my neighbor) cheers for the DAWGS...


Eat, Drink, and be Merry. For tomorrow, we die??

No comments:

Post a Comment