Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Feed Your Head

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. Matthew 7:13

My favorite story of all time is The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Lately I've been playing a conversation between Alice and The Cheshire Cat in my head.
Alice: I was just wondering if you could help me find my way.
Cheshire Cat: Well that depends on where you want to get to.
Alice: Oh, it really doesn't matter, as ...
Cheshire Cat: Then it really doesn't matter which way you go.

That is where I am.
Leaving Atlanta was enough excitement to sustain my emotional overdrive since I arrived. But now three weeks today I am realizing my focus is blurry. I'm not on a narrow path..
Alice had all of those adventures because she chased one goal down the rabbit hole.
In Manhattan it is "impassible" to take in the constant myriad of stimuli when so much of my mind and a great deal of my heart is still wallowing in my hometown.
I'm losing my mission. In fact, after being in Atlanta trying to make sense out of nonsense, I've also lost my direction.
So down I go in forward momentum...
Curiouser and Curiouser, I'm slowly falling in love with this Wonderland. People seem to experience thriving success here because they are ONLY doing what they really love. And the most desirable aspect is they have identified their true passions to live out. Sure.
Dabbling can be fruitful, but when I find myself up at 2:30 in the morning submitting to every Craigs List solicitation in all the Burroughs, I am walking a broad line.
Eating both sides of the mushroom is possible but is it profitable?
To me it seems it's all about keeping your eye on the narrow prize. With all of these opportunities in such a confined space, knowing what feeds me makes the grocery list a cinch. Getting on the precise path. That is the adventure with a touch of madness.
'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir,' said Alice, 'because I'm not myself you see.'"
Is your Road the Right One?

No comments:

Post a Comment