Friday, February 20, 2009

We the Peoples

"For God does not show favoritism."Romans 2:11

I’ve heard people say New York City as the heart-line of America. It is a near impossible task to describe or relay the explosive non-stop energy of this fair city.
It is the Headquarters of the United Nations and has 195 countries represented on one concrete island. Okay, maybe no one here represents Vatican City, although they might think they do.
It's our whole World People...From Harlem to Wall street, Jew to Gentile, Conservative to Liberal, Straight to Gay, Red, Yellow, Black , and White, all living, loving, lying, and dying....we are all precious in his sight.

I met a girl today from Staten Island. A competitive pistol shooting, Sean Hannity viewing, jack of all trades, Italian big sister, self-professing atheist. I liked her instantly.
I told her once when I visited NY, I felt an overwhelming sense of intolerance geared toward me. Open to Buddhism, witchcraft, 9/11 investigation, self-mutilation, necrophilia and more. But when it came to a southern conservative christian, it seemed minds were closed. And before I even opened my mouth.
We went on to discuss what a rarity she was....born and raised in NY with no faith and a gun owning Fox News Supporter. (Gasp) I vote conservative and think drugs should be decriminalized. Her dearest friend is "super catholic". One of my favorite's denies there is a God. And on and on went the ping-pong diversity game. So what?

The UN's preamble goes like this: Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world.

Recognition. That's the reigning theme. Not acceptance, nor adoption but the willingness to acknowledge and consider it valid or just different from yours.
Open-Minded does not mean swayable or persuadable but receptive to another perspective.

Should political, culture, and religious beliefs meddle, make or break?
And do you pigeon hole?

No comments:

Post a Comment