Wednesday, February 18, 2009

So You Better Treat Em Right

"The laborer's appetite works for him; his hunger drives him on." Proverbs 16:26

But it seems all that is changing.
Why the hell haven't I been living more outside of my means? How silly that I have not opened more credit cards. I should have been eating out in decadency instead of grilling discounted meat on my second hand grill. What were my husband and I thinking working two jobs each, playing harder should have been our approach. All that volatile wrestling over a budget.....If only I knew no matter what mistake I made, my government would come in to save me.
The American Dream is "that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement. Ability and Achievement people.
Call me crazy but this has an uncanny resemblance to something called Rewarding Bad Behavior.....

Let me tell you who works hard for their money in this city. Restaurant Delivery Guys on Bikes. New York is the land of convenience and these guys stop at nothing. I mean nothing.
Need to enhance your Monday night TV viewing? A bottle of Cote du Rhone is on your doorstep. Craving comfort food? How about a bison burger with arugula salad and hot crispy fries in minutes. Under the weather? Express pharmaceuticals at your discretion. Feeling Frisky?
A bag of Magnum Condoms is a call away.
No other place in the world can you order a three course Indian meal at midnight from beneath your down comforter.
Transporting the goods come rain, sleet, and snow. Whether at rush or witching hour, they're packing, pumping, and providing a service with smiles on their faces.
I know I'm green but when a man shows up at our office with three Jamon and Swiss croissants and two cafe Au laits piping hot, face covered in rain drops and apologizes for the 7 whole minutes it took. . A stunner. I was so overwhelmed I starting belting Donna Summer...."these guys working day to day for little money, just tips for pay."

To be crass, it's a good thing they don't have to report that cash to the IRS, or else their toil would be wasted in this bailout and a lot more spit would be in our food.

Can you tell I don't condone it?

2 comments:

  1. No, you didn't really make that clear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote a long comment just for it to be deleted ..........that is the story of my life.

    ReplyDelete