Tuesday, April 7, 2009

All Along the Watchtower

"You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature ; rather, serve one another in love." Galatians 5:13

Headline Today: NY Pride -A former Staten Island Episcopal pastor is charged with stealing more than $84,000 from his church for his botox injections, multiple plastic surgeries, and prescription drugs.- Staten Island Advance

In grade school, there was a boy who was in my class, Kindergarten through 5th grade. He was the first person I ever met who not only had three names but a number IV that followed....I adored this kid.  He left the room every morning we said The Pledge of Allegiance to America. His name was on the absentee list every holiday party. And he did not participate in some of our monumental Elementary school plays..(Rainbow Connection anybody) It wasn't until I was ten years old when I realized, all of these occurrences I absolutely and gladly relished in were against his religion. Seriously, there were NO thin mints in his freezer. Girl Scout Cookies were sacrilege.

After my wardrobe fitting this morning for the new Sarah Jessica Parker film in Manhattan (I wish it was the sequel), I skipped to the 6 subway heading uptown and found my cozy 1/2 seat. The bearded man to my right proceeded to spread his arms as wide as he could while opening his Daily News smack dab in front of my face...when a piece of paper fell out and on to the floor, I looked over at him and smiled. (people throw their trash on the ground here all the time). 
To my amazement, he looked back at me and nodded towards the pamphlet laying on the rain soaked floor. I smiled again. Again he nodded. So awkwardly, I bent over and picked it up.
On the front of the three fold flier was a picture of the solar system and read..."The Greatest Name".   As I scanned the words on my surreal ride to 60th and 5th, it repeatedly referenced The Koran, Allah, Paradise, and Jehovah..but no Jesus Christ.  It quickly dawned on me.... 
The metro was my front door, the bearded man just knocked and The "governing body" of Jehovah Witnesses in Brooklyn, NY had spoken.
If Heaven is limited only to 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses, I wonder if my news hound neighbor is going?

As if rules weren't difficult enough to follow...I would rather attempt to abide by one. 
 "The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Galatians 5:14

Isn't that hard enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment