Saturday, April 4, 2009

Phenomenal Woman

"For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight." Ephesians 1:4

"While I know myself as a creation of God, I am also obligated to realize and remember that everyone else and everything else are also God's creation." Maya Angelou

Saturday Morning. This city has so many brilliant moments going on that only a few eyes amongst 8 million are catching. Having an impromptu brunch on the 21st floor of my building with fellow neighbors, we watched red balloons floating amongst the cranes, black smoke billowing from chimney's, couples making out against the warped water towers. The thunderclouds gathered around the Chrysler's spire all over eggs benedict and transplanting jade and orchid plants to the Frank Sinatra hour . Or was that a  dream? Hard to tell here.
In my waking hour, there is a renewed spirit. And if I can just weed through the naysayers. Or nay say through their weed.

I have a friend buzzing in my ear about EVERY choice I have made up until now (30+years) and advice on  all the decisions I will make here forth. It doesn't necessarily matter what I am discussing or debating, His argument nine times out of ten is, "I mean look at Maya Angelou, she was a hooker. Now , look at her." 
I'm not sure what to make of that statement other than against my former judgement I am heading to Barney's tonight to prostiti.. I mean present myself to a of form of money making I didn't think was in me.  Entering into the wild and wacky world of cosmetics in Manhattan. Where Image is everything and Money is no object.  
Hey I know what I said, but every situation is content and a writer's got to make her living somewhere.
And again giving kudos to David Sedaris, this is just my five-star Santaland...

FYI, Pulitzer prize nominated proffesor, Writer, dancer, African-American activist. Born Marguerite Johnson spent her difficult formative years moving back and forth between her mother's and grandmother's. At age eight, she was raped by her mother's boyfriend, who was subsequently killed by her uncles. The horrific event caused her go mute for nearly six years, and her teens and early twenties were spent as a dancer, filled with serious isolation and sexual experimentation...

“Nothing will work unless you do.” M. A.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” M. A.

What's building your character. Conflict or Complacency?



2 comments:

  1. WOW! I love that quote at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel! It was great meeting you tonight at CityLight. It's not everyday that you run into a fellow peach in the big apple, but it's always so nice when you do! Enjoy soaking up all this wonderful city has to offer, & I'm sure I'll see you on Saturday at the line dancing party (we Georgia girls have to show them how it's done)!

    ReplyDelete