Monday, April 27, 2009

Us and Them

"The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

Even fat becomes fiction without adequate ways of seeing "the facts." We do not need theories so much as the experience that is the source of the theory. We can see other people's behavior, but not their experience. The other person's behavior is an experience of mine. I see you. And you see me. I experience you and you experience me. I see your behavior. You see mine, BUT I do not, never have and never will see  your experience of me. I cannot experience you experience. +++

Multiple Choice:
Was this observation:
A) An excerpt from a free paperback I got off a stoop in Brooklyn.
B) The likes of a monologue I gave to a basement full of other 18 year olds on a blotter trip.
C) A looking glass description of my perception of the afternoon. 

If you answered A, B, or C. You would be correct
"Cause all the freaky people make the beauty in the world." M. Franti

God you are so good. This city is so electric. The Hustle. The name of the game. It is so intense to be around so many people who are striving for their dream.
 Making it happen and not leaving room for mediocrity.
I have yet to take a red bus top tour or a central park carriage ride, but I am learning this city through auditions, TV work, interviews, meetings, photo shoots, new jobs and resume drops. Hampton's luncher in Northport, Coney Island Tourist, a Southern Evangelist and now officially the new shop girl at Barney's NY.
I can't decipher between fact or fiction.

Oh Today's photo shoot- One word, hilarious!
2 Looks. Lifestyle Casual and Law and Order serious, made up in Reef flip-flops on the rusty steps of a fire escape overlooking a sun drenched courtyard sanwiched in between four war torn brick walls on 8th avenue. My dual personalities came out with every blink of the shutter. A young doll of a photographer from Rhode Island, a sassy makeup artist from Tampa, and a hungry peach shared a one hit bat and a sun drenched studio space for a couple of hours...all in pursuit of our own personal encounter.
I tell you this does not happen everywhere.

The characters, walks of life, the moments, the experience, the mayhem, the constant hum is enchanting. You gotta want to be here to make it work here.  That is no lie.
Coming down from another balmy day, I found some grass in blooming Central Park . As the breeze blew the fresh green trees, it carried the accordion sound up to where I was sitting, gave cadence to the lush activity passing by, and reminded me to keep my eyes fixed and trust in his plan for me. Because it's all happening."

++The Politics of Experience R. D. Laing

If you modify your behavior,  do you comprise your experience?



1 comment:

  1. The scripture puts it this way no man can know another man's joy. However, you are right again God can and will use you to bring joy into someone's life. The moment is a moment when God is speaking.

    Your days sound full. So does your cup.

    ReplyDelete