Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Daily Grind

"Life will be brighter than noonday, and darkness will become like morning." Job 11:17

"We all live with the objective of being happy. Our lives are all different and yet the same." Anne Frank

Oh my God. Forgive me. For I do not know fear, worry, tears, imprisonment or desperation. I've only had mere glimpses.  
Today is dismal. I haven't had many back to back days of not working here. Tomorrow makes three. A cold rainy day in Manhattan. 
Some serious time for self-introspection.  Hard to believe I waited until sundown to uncork a bottle. Questions. Reflection. Doubt? Maybe. 
Looking though blurry eyes at the screen, I am most certainly running the gamete of emotions. I can't believe it is April. There is no argument that time is fleeting.  My broad focus upon arrival turned narrow( with first paycheck) has quickly spread wide on the horizon again and I am back sending resumes to non descript vocations. 
Two more writing opportunities have presented themselves to me. This is actually a great compliment as the publications found me via freedom. The catch: They both want me to write for free.   Now, I am not too proud for that. I also know that having my byline is a stepping stone into the real world of publishing....This is a good thing.  The problem, who in the hell can be creative when my mind is fixated on earning $400 to make rent by the weekend? No, I will not be massaging in Chinatown...
BUT....Writer David Sedaris is granting me some serious comic relief in my challenging locale. He moved to NYC when he was exactly my age. With grand dreams to walk into a lavish and lucrative writing career, he spent painful and laughable days as an elf in Santaland at Macy's on 34th Street making ends meet... using the experience to facilitate his rise to one of the greatest short story writers to date.  

So it's back to the want ads... 

"In the middle of Difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

Do you judge people by what they do or or they are?





No comments:

Post a Comment