Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Know your Niche

"We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."Romans 5: 3-4

"I can see clearly now, the rain has gone. I can see all obstacles in my way." J. Nash

Sitting on the Hudson this morning. It is the clearest, freshest, most vibrant day to date (for me) in NYC. A slow breeze lending the sun glistened waves to lap against the boardwalk. I can't help smiling at the ducks and sea gulls call.  This is without a doubt, a calming respite. 
Too bad my head space is a mess. Feeling guilty as the city moves and grooves behind me. Here is the broken vinyl record playing in my ear...

As long as you are doing what you love..the money will come. If you are living your passion accordingly, you will make a profit. If your focusing on what compels your worth in your work, then the paychecks will come flooding in.  Don't be driven by cash, be driven by character.  Oh, and my personal favorite, work is overrated, have fun. Sound wisdom coming from someone independently wealthy and not trying to create a prosperous life in the most expensive city.
 Amongst all the stellar advice, I do have to pose the question. What is it that makes me the happiest?
Can career ambition and life's passion co-exist?

There is a type of people. They are the straight and narrow traditionalists. They go to college, find a mate, begin their career, add to the beloved 401K, climb the industrious ladder, start a family, retire in 30 years and so the fairytale goes. More often then not, they despise their job but embrace the health benefits and the dreams they had as children are unfairly transferred to their offspring...and the cycle continues.
That is not my legacy. Security is to be revered. And structure commended.
 I often crave them both.  But at what cost will you seek them? 
I believe some suffering is a necessity of life. I believe unnecessary suffering is self imposed and steals our life.  
We do have a choice in our happiness.  And knowing where your passion lies is the number one step towards it....
My choice to freelance remains to be seen. 
But something about this weather makes me want to get drunk...

"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams." John Barrymore

Are you blissfully living, or biding your time?


No comments:

Post a Comment