Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Love Your Mate

"But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently." Romans 8:25

Iowa-“We are firmly convinced that the exclusion of gay and lesbian people from the institution of civil marriage does not substantially further any important governmental objective,” declared Justice Mark Cady, writing for the court.

Vermont"-We've shown that truth and fairness and justice and love are more powerful than one man's veto pen," said Beth Robinson, chairwoman of the Vermont Freedom to Marry Task Force.

And then there were four.

Oh, how I wish it wasn't midnight and my eyelids weren't gaining weight by the second. I don't know how to tackle this effectively with conviction and diplomacy as my stream of consciousness is going on auto-pilot.  Here's to the effort...

My friend's Equal Rights rally and celebration in Union Square tonight challenged me to question where I stand...and I still stand firm.

I BELIEVE IN FREEDOM OF CHOICE.
"I'll worry about me, you worry about you. I'll believe what I believe. And you can believe what you believe too. You do your thing. I'll do mine." Montgomery Gentry

Civil Rights are personal and natural liberties protected by the US Constitution. Amongst others, they include freedom of speech, right to vote, and protection from discrimination based on race, gender, original origin, age, or religion.
From Women's Suffrage to Black Civil Rights Movement and now Gay Rights, they all fought and continuously struggle for Equality...

Loving vs. Virginia 1967 was preposterous to begin with but a landmark civil rights case that ended all marriage restrictions based on race.  ONLY Forty years ago, this was so shocking to Americans. And now has become almost commonplace. 
Our President of the United States is a product of a mixed union after all. 

Ask yourself or anyone in your vicinity. Do you believe that civil liberties should be denied based on sexual preference? Do you believe we should withhold equal protection of the law or disallow jobs or housing to homosexuals? My guess is a healthy portion would say no.

Okay, then what about marriage? Is this where the Equality Ends?  

I'm DONE hearing that it will ruin the sanctity of marriage. 
I'm losing faith in the argument of promiscuity....
I question the optimal environment to raise children...

Why can you, if they can't? 



No comments:

Post a Comment