Thursday, April 16, 2009

Humor. Not Hostility.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

Fear is crippling. Fear manifests into anger. Fear closes doors.
 
It's not what you know, but who you know.Ahh yes, the power of who.This is true in the secular and non-secular world. Salvation is for sure about knowing HIM. Success...that's a little more complicated.

I am starting to reevaluate my will's and wont's. Today I was describing my ample Epicurean experience in  dealing with olives, imported cheeses, and exotic desserts today while outlining my ideal dinner party menu I would serve to my closest of wealthy friends. Lost in the cremini mushroom gravy and truffle cheese, I forgot where I was.  All this for an application for a Team Member position at Whole Foods Market. Which by the way is one of the least expensive places to purchase groceries in Manhattan. And my latest pursuit in making my rent.

Now Quit It. My eyes are still bright and my focus is still narrow. Editorial Writing, Conservative Commentary, Stephen Colbert meets the New York Post, Sesame Street Guest Appearance, Starring role in my own TV series, Freedom of Peach column in the New York Times..you know...The Attainable. I'm just dwelling in the ever realistic grind of how to support the habit that has become "Living in Manhattan."

Leaning over the front desk of my apartment building sulking on about no where to go, no where to be, my friend on the 21st floor came out of the elevator and gave me a huge hug followed by the formal exchange.
Off to work. 
Must be nice.
Must be nice to stay in Uggs and sweatpants all day...Touche.
Yes, I admit the honeymoon is fading. But New York City is the land of dreamers. And no one is taking no for an answer. 
This admirable spirit is what keeps me in bed and gets me out of bed at the same time. Land of Extremes. Highs and Lows. Possible and Inconceivable.

-Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don’t.- Baz Lurhman

If you define yourself by what you do, can't you judge yourself on what you don't?


No comments:

Post a Comment