Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Casually Unconcerned

" I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

I'm one day behind him. He's spending his 100th in the Spotlight. I'm spending my 99th in bed.
 I wonder if he begrudgingly resents the fact his publicity is playing 2nd fiddle to the Pig Flu.  I sure am not thrilled at the over zealous interruptions of my mindless TV (sick) day to give me the play by play of outbreaks in Manhattan.
They're kidding right? More strategies to prey on the fears of man. And a interactive national report card for the president. Hey CNN, I got your grades. And F and a U.

Fear is a primitive emotion. I get that. But fear of fear for the most part is self imposed. There is the biological and there is the emotional. One is a automatic response that is crucial to survival and the other is an exaggerated perceived dread, worry, what have you of the what if's and the could be's. Creating Fear? Why have a crippling response to matters that are out of your hands?

Ways to combat:
Alarm. Angst. Worry. Concern. Distress. Panic. Fear.
The following are tried and true....

I sought the LORD, and He heard me, And delivered me from all my fears. Psalms 34:4

God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Psalms 46:1-2

Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

 The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.Proverbs 18:10

 My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:2

 He will not let your foot slip--he who watches over you will not slumber.Psalm 121:3 

The Lord will keep you from all harm--he will watch over your life. Psalm 121:7 

 The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and for evermore.Psalm 121:8


Are you standing firm or falling prey?




 

1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing so had right now!! F and a U?? :)

    I absolutely love how you break down the difference between biological fear and emotion! It sounds like you've also read "A New Earth"? I'm wrapping my mind around that concept now.

    ReplyDelete