Friday, April 17, 2009

Street Savvy

"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in Your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed” Psalm 139:16

New York City is the largest media market in North America.  Globally known and influential it is the mecca for major television networks, important newspapers, publishing houses, feature films, the biggest advertising firms and music and recording companies. It is the HUB for major conglomerates such as VIACOM and Time Warner. Names like New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Radio City, Broadway, Fox News, NBC Universal, Saturday Night Live, Howard Stern, Simon and
Schuster, HBO, Paramount, to name a few all make their home in Manhattan. 
This city serves as the backdrop to the most media production worldwide....that's a wealth of employed.

This morale boosting Friday AM, after four hours of fitful sleep and a stellar dinner party, I clamored from the bed to the shower to the express subway for an audition in Times Square. Since spending up close and personal time with strangers on set, I have met it my mission to pick brains and squeeze info...this contact came from a well practiced Thespian on the set of Law and Order.
Overlooking 43rd and Broadway,in front of a rather young actor's agent, I gave a weeping and desperate monologue to my fictional husband about opinionated matriarchs. Art imitating Life. Uh-huh. I nailed it. 
Callbacks tomorrow...

Taking in the glow of the sun and neon lights; Feeling rather adept, I journeyed to the center of it all. The Time Life Building and 75 Rockefeller.  Or street vendor heaven. Carrying my resumes and head shots (my schoolteacher photo), checking my bag through X-Ray security, entering revolving glass doors, riding elevators 30 floors, and sweet talkin attendants I managed a Human Resources interview with Sports New York TV, chased a Sports Illustrated Editor down 51st street, gave my pitch and snagged a card, contacted Real Simple Magazine staffing to set up an appointment for a contributing writer position, went to American Journalist's headquarters and applied for free Dave Letterman tickets...combing the street blocks in high heels ta boot
Came home to long awaited emails, a renewed vigor and an invitation for late night swanky dancing. 

A time ago, when asked about "my plans" to procreate, I told my father..I was still nurturing my short list and New York City was at the top.
He looked me in the eye and said.."some dreams are just too hard."
He's right. This is hard. Hopeless at times. Lonely Often. 
But OH SO WORTH IT.

Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay
I know what nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know its everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win
Half my life is in books written pages
Live and learn from fools and from sages.
You know its true
All the things come back to you. Aerosmith



Dream on?


1 comment: