Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Put Your Hands Up

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him.” Genesis 2:18

All the single ladies. All the single ladies. This post's for you.

I am a self proclaimed Boy Crazy Flirt. Have been my whole life. For my 20's decade I use to repeat a mantra in my head, "I'm single until I'm married. And I don't plan on changing." 
You couldn't convince me of the institution let alone tell me the marriage bug would infect me so. Alas youth! 
Shockingly, I fell hopelessly in love six years ago and he, well he put a ring on it. 
Brawn and Brains!

When I first visited my new best friend and husband's home town, I quickly caught whiff of where all the other hot men have been living and breathing all this time....Massachusetts!  Okay, there might me a simple sexiness about a southern reared boy or a hearty wholesomeness to the corn fed mid-Western. I'll even give creed to the vague aloofness of a California dude. But in the northeast they build em tough, rough, long, strong, and down to get the friction on. I should know. I'm blessed with one.

Today, I woke at 5 AM to catch a bus to Long Island.  The Royal Pains is a new show on USA network set in the Hampton's and I dressed the part. 
The charming waterfront village of Northport located on the north shore (hear the accent) of Long Island took me by such pleasant surprise.   Traveling by historic Victorian homes with brilliant wisteria thriving in the yards, you could smell the sea air as we approached their famous Main Street, where the road meets the water and provides a magnificent view of the harbor. 
This is where we ladies who lunch all strutted our sundresses and espadrilles..up and down the drag way in 45 degree rainy weather. Yeah, I could go on about the quaint cafes, the designer boutiques, and the organic farmers market. But here's the scenery I took in. 
The locals.... More specifically the local men.  They were everywhere. The bountiful beautiful. The ample athletic. The robust and rugged. A decent amount of distinguished.
AND THEY WERE ALL DRIVING TRUCKS! 

Back on the subway in the Manhattan after seven hours of standing on a corner watching all the boys go by...I eavesdropped on a rather enlightening and comforting conversation. Two grown men. And when I say men. I mean men. Not metrosexuals that Manhattan seems to be full to their polished brim with, which is not sexy. Your skin should not be smoother nor your shoulders as small. But two real men discussing one of the guys current women in his life. How he really enjoyed one's company, so easy and real. And how he had so much fun with the other and her zest for life. The other older gentleman kept asking about the girl's character and the younger of the two continued to spill his evident emotions and real concerns about finding the right one and making the choice. They both said how they didn't want to be alone and how important a family would be. How a good woman who makes you feel like being a better man is the most important attribute. This went on and on for six stops. At this point, I wasn't even feigning like I wasn't listening. I was staring with a shit eating grin on my face.  
There is hope ladies. They are out there and They Do think about those things.
 If you can't find em where you are, there's always Northport.

Can't live with them?
or
Can't live without them?

 Please say a prayer for mine tonight. In the middle of this post, he was in a car accident. He is thankfully fine. The car is not...

2 comments:

  1. I certainly don't want to "live" with them (been there, done that), but I am thinking it might be time to visit Massachusetts! Love you Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should switch to your train! I love this post... I was starting to really miss southern gentlemen, but it's nice to know that some genuinely good guys exist up here as well!

    PS.. I'd love for you to come dancing with me sometime!! I forgot what you said your email was... but mine's chelseaah@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete