Sunday, April 5, 2009

Luffin and Limin

"They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, "Hosanna! " "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" "Blessed is the King of Israel!" John 12:13

I don't know how many churches are in Manhattan and respective Burroughs but I am blessed beyond belief and don't believe in chance that I found City Light Church as soon as I did. Spent two hours worshiping  the Cross on Calvary and fellowshiping over gloriously typical Manhattan Margherita pizza with a huge body of diverse believers....

With my aloof earthly securities. He's my Captain.
I am saved by Grace.Love Abounding, Mercy has found me. I do not know where I would be without His Grace. But this town would be a whole lot scarier...Surrendering is the strongest action I do.

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."2 Corinthians 12:9

Rose early this Palm Sunday morning and  embarked on a decent run from Lower Manhattan to Chelsea Piers. I wasn't the only one to get a jump start on this impeccable Spring Day....as I dodged a many of bare chested souls.
On my way home...  Stopping at Christopher Street to watch the beautiful yachts underway in the New York Harbor sailing towards the Statue of Liberty...I fell to my knees remembering my dear friend and unmatchable sailor David Geiger who taught me not only everything I know about sailing but that there's is no feeling better than the wind in your hair, and sun on your face...I wrote about the first time we sailed together eight years ago and how I relished in the feeling of riding the wind. Allow me to share...

---A day sail turned into an extended long weekend just by steering the tiller a few degrees left.  I tossed off the jib sheet and winched it hard onto the cleat.  We sailed in fast, as the wind switched the sails to an intense locomotive's steam and we glided across the glassy surface.  Hauled over on one side so my feet were touching the salty Caribbean water, the sea mist stung our smiling eyes.  Easing into a soggy white bay and turquoise sky.... Diamonds glistened on the surface of the aquamarine mother ocean.  Spoke with some local color but found my solace in the cockpit of the 26 foot Bristol watching the sun fade and the moon rise.  Days passed like minutes. And minutes like blinks. Sailing home at dusk the volcanic isle covered in tire  and coconut palms turned a burnt orange, sipping hot tea made in the galley,  watching the horizon and keeping the course,  I caught the sailing spirit. I'm abandoning my career as a reporter because I have realized my true calling. 
Thanks Willful. --2001 
"Yes, I am a pirate, 200 years too late.  The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder, I'm an over thirty victim of fate arriving too late."     JB

I got up off my knees, wiped my tears and I hurried home to call the Manhattan and New York Yacht Clubs...they've got a new crew member in town.

"If you want to sing out, sing out. And if you want to be free, be free cause theres a million things to be...You know that there are.
And if you want to live high, live high. And if you want to live low, live low.  If you want to say yes, say yes. If you want to say no, say no.cause theres a million ways to go.. You know that there are." Cat Stevens

Are your sails full?


No comments:

Post a Comment