Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Isn't She...?

"But you remain the same, and your years will never end." Psalm 102:27

Three months to the date...and counting. 
Oh how things have changed.

"Besides making money, you're going to have a ton of fun." 
I received the standard pitch...twice from a heavy breathing fast talking agent who insisted we talk again after my head shot session while he skims off the top of my meager acting wages. "They are the Gateway and there is NO way casting agents will know you exist without them". Cause. ..up until now I've been using a wedding photo (Thanks Steffi) to get all my gigs...Today, two checks, Tomorrow, The Royal Pains and Thursday, Ugly Betty.  You know head shots cost upwards of one thousand dollars for a glossy made up 8x10. 
For now, I'm keeping that ten percent close... hefty.

Today I visited a remarkable institution. It's origins date back to the late 19th century. After years of forethought, fierce competition, site chosen, architects selected, and two years dismantling, the cornerstone of the largest marble structure in the United States was laid in 1902.  The Monumental New York Public Library is a sight to be seen. 
A million books and nine million dollars later, the doors opened to the public in 1911.
What happened next was what we call viral. Instantaneously, it become the intellectual center of Manhattan and the lifeline for immigrants coming to America to relish in their history and soak up their new....Fifteen million visitors visit  annually. It is regarded as the one of the greatest libraries in the world.  Today, was my maiden voyage. 

The gorgeous lawn in the Bryant Park approach is exquisite enough, and the facade of the library takes your breath away. Climbing the palatial staircase, I went straight to the 3rd floor into the crowning spectacular glory of the Rose Main Reading Room which is nearly two city blocks in length.  My plan: finish cover letter, submit article to new publication Mapcidy, post my 92nd blog, and other due diligence.
As if the opulent chandeliers, immense windows, rows of resources, and the detailed murals on the 60 foot high ceilings weren't enough to distract me. There in the historical iconic 100 year+ landmark, I had a circa 1986 John Hughes delivered Pretty in Pink moment. Uh Huh, Blane found me on Ichat... apparently I am on his BONJOUR list. (don't ask PC users, be very afraid conspiracy theorists) 
Yep, there was his picture chatting with my picture on my computer screen (80's terminal) through a wireless signal. 
I raised my head to see who was watching but the four hundred heads surrounding me were buried in their own engrossment. Strangely enveloped in the nostalgia of bound books and immersed in the progressiveness of technology, Duckie didn't get jealous nor did awkward teenage love blossom.
But, hopefully, I gained a new reader. 

she loves to be one of the girls
she lives in the place in the side of our lives
where nothing is ever put straight
she turns her self round and
she smiles and she says 
this is it,that's the end of the joke...Psychedelic Furs

Isn't time bizarro?

No comments:

Post a Comment