Thursday, May 14, 2009

Better View

"We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord." 2 Corinthians 5:8

On a rainy December night in Georgia, I was sitting in traffic at a red light in the suburbs of Atlanta leaving work at 7 pm. Close to tenth in the gridlocked left lane, the monotonous sound of my turn signal and windshield wipers were pounding in my bleeding ears. I called a friend in Manhattan and had him listen in on my experience.
I told him with tears in my eyes and blinded by the brake lights,  I couldn't wait to relinquish control of the wheel and leave it all behind me...
This early morning, crossing Canal and boarding the 6 train uptown to Grand Central, the high pitched squeal of the departing train was as soothing as a lullaby and rocked me into a contentment of knowing the decision I made was the right one for me.
It is an exhilarating notion to finish a chapter and know you sucked all of the marrow and meaning out of it that you never need to return for more. 
It had it's place. And I had my time in it.
Feels good to fly the coop.

Like a bird from prison bars has flown...I'll fly away. A Krauss

When are you going to spread your wings?

No comments:

Post a Comment