Thursday, May 7, 2009

On Bended Knee

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

MC Hammer said it best, "We gotta pray, just to make it today."

Today is National Prayer Day. A proclamation signed in 1952 by President Truman, recognized as an official occasion by President Reagan, and honored on the White House calendar until today, where President Obama chose not to celebrate or publicly recognize the power of prayer... It would be an utterly sad understatement to say that Evangelicals are disappointed in his personal decision. 

The Bible says that the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. And when two or more agree on something in prayer, the extraordinary can happen.
Today is an invitation to all walks of faith to pray for our nation. Did you hear me?
To pray for our nation!!
Not that every faith, creed, belief, or walk be homogenized but that we come together with unity in mind, and ask for help.

Yes, Obama we are a wonderfully created diverse in pattern and texture nation of people. I couldn't agree more that the patchwork of our heritage is our strength as Americans.
But today's deliberate shun of the act of prayer makes you side with only the non-believers. While the rest of us want to bow our heads and lift our hands in reverence. Members of  American Atheists want to kiss your feet...

Now in my 33 years of life, I have knowingly and willingly been following Jesus Christ for the last 26. My faith has grown exponentially as I have learned the doctrine and surrendered my way. It has waned in situations where I falsely convinced myself I had a strong grip on the helm. But since my life changed with a prayer to the Lord when I was seven years old, I have always remained faithful in prayer.
Praying is talking with God. Listening to God. And fostering a relationship with Him. Enjoying being in the presence of your King.
It is not a repeated mantra, ritual steps, or formulas. 
We pray because we love God. And we earnestly seek His guidance.
I pray everyday because I want to glorify Him and the blessings he's shown in my life.
 It is my security, my refuge, my answer to all things uncertain.
And today in this climate, we could all use a little more prayer.

"O LORD, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief." Psalm 143:1

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

"I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing."                 1 Timothy 2:8

"Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise." James 5:13

Heavenly Father, you are the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. I honor you. Lord I ask for the strength and wisdom to follow your heart and your will for me. Your plan is so much greater than any of my schemes. I surrender my ways to you knowing you are my only hope and salvation and all adversity I face is you pruning me to become the promise you have promised. In Jesus' Name I pray.

What is your prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment