Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I Get A Kick Out of You, You, and Me

"Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish." Matthew 13:47

Anything Goes- An American debutante, an evangelist turned night club owner, a handsome wall street broker, a gangster named Moonface made their debut together on Broadway in 1934.

Anything goes..
All the time? When every thing's gone? When all else has failed?
In New York City, that's Status Quo.

I wonder when people quit paying mindful attention to the absolute craziness diversity, the outlandish oddities, and the insane and eclectic characters that make up the daily buzzing population of Manhattan.
You can do, say, wear, and play anything you want... A smorgasbord of life choices and persona's floating around this here place. The more bawdy, eccentric, outrageous, controversial, or bizarre stance or behavior doesn't necessarily mean, more attention. It all seems to blend and define this city.
Suddenly I feel home.  I feel confident in all my abnormalities, madness, curiosity, quirkiness and well, self.   
Reminds me a little bit about St. John, whereas you had to do the absolute knock down drag out drunken unthinkable to garner a reaction there and even still, you got a few batted eyes. Believe me my repetitive accidental tackling of the bassist from Jalapeno Brothers as he tried to play a Jam Show at the Back Yard Bar didn't even warrant a mention the next day at breakfast.  Ahh the good ole' days of the Wild West Caribbean.

After stepping over a passed out, snoring 70 year old woman sprawled on the stairs on set who had been dropping crass F bombs all morning, and in your face crotch shots of everyone changing wardrobe in one open room while discussing their sexual preferences, to having a depressing conversation with a plastic surgery happy woman who said the mansion we were in reeked of religion... musty, corrupt and evil...the memories haunted her.
It dawned on me I wasn't in the twilight zone, I was working in a little microcosm of Manhattan, except in tight quarters and for 15 hours. Ahh the life of an actor...

In pursuing an answer, a born and raised New Yorker told me he realized anything goes, when he was working a construction site and a man that had repeatedly dubbed everyone around him douche bag dropped his pants and pooped on the sidewalk. And passersby kept passing by.
I'm serious y'all, I am still getting ( literally) bowled over with an open jaw at what I get to witness while others are rushing to the next..
Hence the term: A Jaded New Yorker 

In my smitten(ness), I reject it's jadedness. I believe it's acceptance. 

In olden days a glimpse of stocking 
Was looked on a something shocking.
Now heaven knows, anything goes
Good authors who once knew better words
Now only us four letter words
Writing Prose, anything goes. 

My way- your way, Anythings goes tonight. Guns N Roses

Can you justify normal?


No comments:

Post a Comment