Sunday, May 10, 2009

Eight Days A Week

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" Matthew 11:29

Grace..eventually? No. Now.

Come unto me if you're burden is heavy.
Come unto me if you're tired of the fight.
Come unto me and find rest for your soul.
My yoke is easy and my burden is light. Charlie Teer

After church this morning at Harvest Christian Fellowship on 56th street I meandered the non-grid to congregate with others around the fountain at Father Demo Square on Bleeker Street. And entrance into the West Village. Eye Candy galore.
 On a remarkable blue sky day in Manhattan, people crawl out of the woodwork and into the open streets like an infestation. Taxi's are empty. Subway cars few. And every park bench is occupied...

How do you spend your Sunday? That was the question on the pastor's lips today.
The 4th Commandment in Chapter 5 of Deuteronomy says to honor the Sabbath. This does not mean don't linger over a bloody mary brunch with acquaintances, or put off planting that one special ginkgo tree in your patch of green space, nor should you resist a creamy gelato in celebration of switching out your winter wool closet for the hot colors of summer. 
But it does mean, stop for a moment and spend some precious time with God.
As a Christian, this should be and what is exactly what I desire to do daily. 
Everyday. Not just Sunday.

I realize that the emphasis on faith is diminishing as a guide post for many.
Certainly in the media,  there has been such a large accent placed on the secondary, from worship tendencies, church attire, hymnals vs. rock praise, sexual preference, what he or she does in their daily life....behind their closed doors. God can't fit in a box. And there certainly isn't one way to honor Him nor magnify His word.
We are ALL so busy talking about the speck in our neighbors eye, that we don't notice the plank in our own  blinding us to the truth,
JESUS is the primary. And our walk with Him is where our focus should turn and remain.
Hypocrisy, be it Pharisees or today's religious leaders...you are majoring in the minors!!!
 Do not be false accusers of followers because they do or don't eat fish on Friday. Smoke a joint. Bang their head...
You are putting your energy into the concept of man instead of the ways ordained by God. 
If only we could spend a little more time getting to know Him instead of using Him to defend what we think is the right way. 
Get to know Him. Be conformed into His image. He will speak for you...

How did I spend part of my Sunday?
 In the back of a taxi with my hand on my roomates new C cup...
And thanking my mama for life.

"Dear friends, I am not writing a new commandment for you; rather it is an old one you have had from the very beginning. This old commandment—to love one another—is the same message you heard before.  Yet it is also new. Jesus lived the truth of this commandment, and you also are living it. For the darkness is disappearing, and the true light is already shining."
1 John 2:7

In the words of Ray and Sailers...
When you're learning to face your path at your pace. Every choice is worth your while.
Can you really condemn your neighbor's walk?

1 comment:

  1. My sunday? Crawled through foliage in central park, napped, church & one of the two things you said you did (I'll let ya guess whether it was cupping my roommates new C cup or thanking my mama)!

    ReplyDelete