Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy and Satisfied

"Let them praise His name in the dance: let them sing praises unto Him with the tambourine and harp." 
Psalm 149:3

When's the last time you enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich with real butter on Wonder Bread?
I did at midnight on top of 3 Magic Hats overlooking Manhattan...and the dancing was on!

This city is all about self starting. There is a plethora of the world's offerings happening at every turn but if you don't seek it, it won't find you...

Spent the afternoon relishing and watching a crowd of Chinese students wildly chase a birdie around the field with badminton rackets while an intimate group of Mexican chefs played an impromptu "quitting time" game of futbol. The Ultimate Frisbee match with shirts vs skin galore provided a dull roar. As a couple passed a joint in the open bright of day in front of me, my focus fell to the mammoth blue spinnaker sail fill with wind and head towards Ellis Island
 It is officially spring and Friday in New York City. Hallelujah.
"Another missed birdie, squint, that's why we're Asian." non-descript badminton novice

The act of leaving the apartment is the hardest part of the day. I'm a decent nester and I often love to be alone. In a city full of perfect strangers, venturing out can be daunting...especially when you have no place to go.
This is dangerous and defeats the purpose of dwelling in the city that never sleeps...never mind thriving...so off I went.
After working for the last two weeks and pinching pennies, I have been catching up on my Independent Films..in the confines of my four walls. 
The drought of my social life was more than drenched last night courtesy of my dearest tall dark and handsome friends.
A benefit concert for Fierce with...Toshi Reagon and Big Lovely rocked Santos Party House last night. In a room full of Samantha Rosen look a likes... a straight blond standing in between two male models was a rare commodity...And the music was white hot....
 Already blown away by the  R & B Folk groove of Meshell Ndegeocello, the muscular RuPaul reminiscent Cirque de Soleil performance, and the seductive simultaneous spoken word that dripped like wax, I  surely wasn't expecting the sweet sound to come from this big, black, bald, beautiful woman strapped with an electric guitar bringing the retro funk with a gospel flair like no other...We grooved.
I don't know what it is about this city. The spiritual experiences are abundant. But the ordinary is non-existent. And it is so nourishing.

Have you heard, have you heard the dreams of the dove 
I am sure it’s a sign of the lord 
Did you dance to that thunderous shout 
I am sure it’s a sign of the lordI got chills in my eyes from lookin above 
I am sure it’s a sign of the lord...TOSHI

What feeds your soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment