Friday, May 15, 2009

Drop in a Bucket

"God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Do you ever notice that in whatever circles you are spinning or daily life you are leading, that world becomes the center of your universe? It's your highs, lows, points of contention, highlights of conversation. It's your first, last, and everything. But in reality, it's just a 2 minute pit stop on this fast track journey.

Maybe I'm being vague. Maybe I'm protecting those around me. But make no mistake about it. I have a long memory. And I'm honing my fiction skills. If it has any content value which all new experiences and acquaintances do, it will find it's way into my widely notarized body of works, and you will enjoy paging through the adventures and personalities by the poolside, bedside, and downside. I'm not talking insane fame. Just a reasonable sized loyal cult following.
Thanks for the enthusiasm...

Spent the afternoon over champagne on ice in the southern heat recounting the absolute absurdities I have taken on as my roommate's payed personal assistant to a group of wide eyed attentive listeners. 
Saying the mundane tasks out loud was almost too much to bear.
I'm a grocery shopper, merchandise returner, wardrobe critic, text analyzer, compliment giver, clothes packer, generous banker, drug interceptor, butcher, baker, candlestick maker.
It's slowly becoming one of my many hats I don... just to be a part of it.  In old New York.
New York City is like no place else in the world and it fosters characters that are like none other of this world. If ever I turned my nose up at the concept of how a "New Yorker" may live, laugh, respond, or react, I smack my hand for being so foolish because I can guarantee they are indeed different than you, me, and most.
Again, for this I am grateful. They bring black words to a blank screen and provide more food for thought than I can consume.

When men ask me how I know so much about men, they get a simple answer: everything I know about men, I learned from me.- Anton Chekhov

Letting things go...is another step in my reconditioning.

So check yourself.
Is it REALLY that important?

2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to that poolside read. I have not had a book that made me want to clean house so I can reward myself with a good read in a while.
    Taking on another's life, so that you can make them seem better is what we all do in a way. People know you by your friends. It is important to be a good friend.
    Your words are a visit to today's museum of well, TODAY. Scanning your words in your blog, sometimes every day sometimes 3 a day enriches me. I feel like I am better equipped. Those people you see and write about have made it to the page, they have a life that is noticed. You have used your breath to extend their lives. A little CPR for the masses and by the way Who was that Masked Woman?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a lot of universal truth here- especially in your second paragraph. I often ponder the same thing, especially after moving or changing jobs. I realize the people, places and issues I used to think was so important were really so trivial. Such is life... sigh.

    ReplyDelete