Thursday, June 11, 2009

Are We to Blame?

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23

Spirituality 101 according to Oprah Winfrey and her panel of spiritual teachers.
The first clueless quip out of her mouth was that God does not get hung up on titles...um okay. I will be the first to admit I don't know what the Lord is thinking but for some reason I am not sure he is keen on humans who ardently reject him referring to Him as the Universe's Energy Force.
Call me crazy but Psalm 68.4 gives me fodder.
Sing to God, sing praise to His name, extol him who rides on the clouds — his name is the LORD— and rejoice before him. For His name is holy.

The one bit of wisdom I could relate to was when Reverend Bacon said there are "plenty of religious people who are not spiritual. Look inside our churches today." Spirituality is about love. Love is about connection. Jesus connects us to God. God who is Love. And All Encompassing. 
I believe you can learn from other spiritual and non-spiritual people. I do not believe that anyone else has all the answers.

I've been thinking a great deal about unbelievers. My seeking roommate who is admitting to an"intense evil being" (her words) inside of her says she has a huge problem with the fact that everyone has to be saved. This confused me at first since that is what the epitome of Christianity is, we are sinners saved by His grace and guaranteed salvation through his Crucifixion. And every single one of us is welcome.  But, listening further...she talked about how people negatively refer to actions of others because they are Not Saved.In turn, (I think) meaning they aren't seeking Jesus as the Lord of their lives.
I realized this bothered me as well.

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Luke 6:37

Instead of Christian women and men determining their neighbors actions are because they don't have a relationship with God, rather we should behave as such that our actions SHOW we do. Acting in openness, acceptance, consideration, understanding, kindness, and in constant faith....can we display our hearts. Just live YOUR lives.
At this point, if the judging continues, if the hypocrisy reigns, or the self righteousness resides all in the name of religion... then the question to ask is who the hell would want to be saved and has me singing:

"Father, Father, Father help us
Send some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love? Where is the love?"
BEP

Do you give Love a bad name?

No comments:

Post a Comment