Friday, June 19, 2009

The Real LIfe

"All my longings lie open before you, O Lord; my sighing is not hidden from you." Psalm 38:9

How did I miss in history tha
t New York City was originally called New Amsterdam. No wonder I am so enthralled.....
Did I miss Anderson Cooper talking about the benefits of pot?
I wonder if he is a thorough journalist and did his research.
Legalize it.
 
Friday Night. The first clear evening in weeks and the clouds parted over the Chrysler and highlighting the skyline with violet clouds. Toasted five months with my friend as the 60 degree breeze made our glasses whistle. We clinked them in triumph, history, and the unknown future. The shining pavement filled with hipsters. The weather beckoned the boys out to feast on the skin.
I journeyed from one scary sublet to the interesting next. None of them home.

It's my last night in Manhattan. Oh but for a short time. 
I'm excited about a reunion but almost angry about the goodbye. 


No where in this imagination of mine can I picture a (my) life back on Oak tree lined Georgia streets. Where more than the the heat is oppressive. 
This is what I have been screaming for the last 15 years in Atlanta but what New York sang sweetly to me upon arrival.

Be who you are nothing more nothing less 
and let the beauty that you love be….. the very best 
Sing praises to the highest with your feet on the ground 
And reach for your brother with the words that you sound and
Don't let mistakes be so monumental, and 
Don't let your love be so confidential, and 
Don’t let your mind be so darn judgmental 
And please let heart be more influential 
Be thankful for all the Spirit provides 
And be thankful for all that you can see without eyes 
Give thanks to music that keeps us alive----Michael Franti

This is where I am supposed to be. 

I don't want to go but I can't stay here.

If you could pause one moment in time, which one would it be?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment