Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fish In and Out of Water

"To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted."Titus 1:15

Chameleon-(n) a changeable, fickle, or inconstant person. Able to blend and change color.

Finding charm in all situations. 

Our nation's birthday weekend commenced with "There's wine in them THAR hills," as we packed a tailgating picnic and chilled Proseco, loaded up in the truck and headed down the Georgia Wine Trail. Where the young vines soaked up the southern sun and the Blood Mountain Red paired delicately with Cheetos and peanuts. Laughter surrounded us as three of my oldest and closest raised our bottomless glasses to new memories and dipped at sunset in a favorite swimmin hole with the Boss and E Street Band providing the soundtrack....

This unseasonably cool morning,  still drunk on BBQ and beer, we found ourselves positioned on a hydrangea covered peninsula, at a 1920's stone home with with Georgia yellow pine wood floors, a huge farm sink, old louvered jalacy windows opened wide to the rhododendron view of the crystal blue spring fed Lake Rabun.  Today marked the 30th annual annual wooden boat parade in Lakemont, GA and we all stood drinking Bloody Mary's in flip flops on a red, white, and blue bunting draped boat house waving to the passing captains. 
Listening to the southern drawls of the elite speak in between their bites of pimento cheese and white bread sandwiches, I felt thankful for what I've known and what I'm learning....  

The Appalachians are fascinating. From the evangelical religious revivals, the Scotch Irish early whiskey stills, the old banjo bluegrass sounds passed down from generations and the customs to which they relentlessly cling and define. 
 
I feel sorry for the privileged New Yorker who thinks The Hampton's are the only weekend destination. Or the Napa Valley snob who feels their grapes are superior to all others.  
I'm blessed with my southern beginnings. I love that I still say the word kin and pronounce pecan with long vowels. I appreciate when people from the south ask me where I'm from, they are talking bout my family versus my neighborhood, but sweet tea, large porches and gracious hospitality aside, I know there's so much more living for me to do....

We abide in the greatest country in the world and we are more worldly the more we know of it.

"You've got to continue to grow, or you're just like last night's cornbread--stale and dry." Loretta Lynn 

Open your Heart. 
You think you're living in High Cotton?





1 comment:

  1. Love this one Rach-- hope all is well. We need a phone date soon. Miss you.xxoo-jana

    ReplyDelete