Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Riding the Split Rail

"Resentment kills a fool, and envy slays the simple." Job 5:2

Instead of looking for a miracle in your life, look to see if you are the miracle in someone else's life.
Nola Rohde Vollmer

----Mayor Bloomberg proposes a six cent tax on each plastic bag used at grocery stores. This out of the box GREEN proposal could raise nearly 16 million dollars for the already financially strapped city (uh, you heard me, NYC is feeling the crunch) This despite the THREE count them...new sports stadiums debuting this year in New York. But don't get me started on the swollen egos and and distended salaries. I'd rather talk about the half empty landfills and a hell of a guy.---
But not this time....

Now, I've never been known to stand around and let the grass grow on the ground under my feet. But been a victim of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence plague a time or two.

I know it was not the Hatfield's and McCoys who started the concept of each other's circumstances fairing better than their own (like the ownership of a handsome sow)  nor was it the shotguns pointed at one another's heads to serve a dose of reality that the notion was a farce.
This painful comparison and unhealthy desire to be in someone else's shoes (coveting your neighbor's wife) has been prevalent since man's rise and fall. And it is the biggest racket.

I may not be thrilled with my circumstances...nor the hand recently dealt,  but I wouldn't trade them for another in a New York minute. 
Now since my month long vacation in this southern state, I've been pining for a Manhattan moment of inspiration, the overwhelming energy of creative work, the struggle of clever competition and every other stimulus in the concrete jungle,  I thought was going on without me...
In turn nearly missing the red tail hawks flying over the wildflowers, the shower clean feeling of a morning spring fed lake swim, copious amounts of mayonnaise and ripe tomatoes on toast, spotted does eating from the garden, stirring the compost, rocking chairs, rainy nights on the porch, reading until my eyelids are heavy, my feet in wet clover, a star filled sky, reconnecting with family, woods walks with friends, the familiar and enough green grass to relish and roll in. 
Oh my Dixieland Delight....

"There's someone else in your imagination 
You wish that you were standing in their shoes 
You'd change your life without much hesitation 
But would you if you really had to choose? 
So, don't look around, get your feet on the ground 
It's much better by far to be just who your are." Petula Clark

Would you trade your life for mine?



No comments:

Post a Comment