Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Slow Growth

"I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

In 1907, 65 yellow cabs serviced Manhattan.
Nearly 100 years later, 945,000 drivers were licensed  to drive cabs.
And the latest statistics say there over 50,000 cars of transport rapidly schlepping New Yorkers up and down and East to West...and at neck breaking speed.
 
In my five months living there, I think I traversed in barely a handful.... 
I walked, I walked, and I walked. And when I wasn't walking, I was actively partaking in the most brilliant well thought out and designed mode called public transportation, the MTA. But even then I was surfing the express and flexing my arms, skipping up flights of stairs, and dodging freaks to reach daylight or often times nightfall.
This must explain the easy to maintain weight loss...
Granted I ate free dinners at grocery samples night, and $1 Dim Sum in Chinatown,  and made a dash of dark street meat last me 24 hours worth of meals. But while I was drinking my calories worth, I was maintaining.

Since I moved in with mom in sweet Georgia Brown. It's slow molasses Vitamin D Milk in the AM, leisurely pimento cheese and dark chocolate as an afternoon delight, and unhurried sugary mint juleps on the porch with dripping BBQ chicken and homemade peach ice cream. All this with my ass firmly but languidly planted in a wooden rocker. No wonder it's growing...Eleven days and counting. 

So this is what vacation feels like.

Summertime and the livin is easy
Fish are jumpin and the cotton is fine
Oh your daddys rich and your ma is good lookin
So hush little baby, dont you cry
One of these mornings
Youre goin to rise up singing
Then youll spread your wings
And youll take the sky
But till that morning
Theres a nothin can harm you
With daddy and mammy standin by....Gershwin's

Georgia is passing me by
And I'm gearing up and ready to start speed walking.

Time to fly??









No comments:

Post a Comment