Friday, October 23, 2009

All the World's a Hazard

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." Ecclesiastes 9:10


"Acting is the perfect idiot's profession." Katherine Hepburn

No wonder I have let my writing pursuits fall by the wayside to an easier vocation.

Statistics show that widespread substance abuse is an inherent part of an actor's life.
(4 cups of coffee then Ambien)

Statistics show that rejections and no call back auditions erode self confidence and instill a poor self image.
(I need Botox)

Statistics show that oppressive heat, severe cold, smoke, chemicals, cables, and makeup are all occupational hazards which actors must endure on all sets.
(Cough, wheeze, trip,)

Statistics show that many beginning union actors average $6,000 in yearly salaries.
(1/3 of East Village Rent)

Statistics show that the negative effects of long hours and cramped quarters weigh heavily on actors physical and mental health.
( I will hurt myself or others in my path, if I don't get some sleep)

Statistics show that many actor's suffer from severe anxiety from the intermittent employment.
(WHHHYYY aren't they calling me?)

An actor has to be self disciplined, passionate, creative, imaginative, voracious, tough skinned, confident, motivated, self-sacrificing, and above all else...entertaining.
They will spend countless hours in the trenches as extras before landing their first two lined bit which may or may not land them in a better gig, only to be bypassed by a less talented actor because her ass sits higher.

With all self-deprecating humor/truth aside, I would not have spent the last eleven hours folded up in a jury box acting like a schizo voyeur at a ping pong match eyeballing defense attorney and witness to defense attorney to witness for the benefit of the camera op, if I didn't dig the work.

Oh yes, and honing my craft..I will get to soon enough.

To dream the impossible dream ...
To fight the unbeatable foe ...
To bear with unbearable sorrow ...
To run where the brave dare not go ...
To right the unrightable wrong ...
To love pure and chaste from afar ...
To try when your arms are too weary ...
To reach the unreachable star.
This is my quest.
Man of La Mancha


Aren't they all just baby steps towards our final curtain call?







1 comment:

  1. $6.000 a year, well then I have just another $5722 to go (but that just counts union work. I guess I'm up to a couple thousand if non-union work is counted.

    Some say that extra work has nothing to do with ultimate success as an actor. Some say that CDs watch all these shows and only consider one an extra if they see one in that role a lot. It is then not at all an advantage, but the opposite. I just don't believe that extras are plucked out of the background and given speaking roles. It has happened, but I think this is very very rare.

    I just consider extra work a survival gig, akin to a job as a waiter. My success will come in some other way, through connections with teachers, networking and such, or at least that is my dreamy notion.

    ReplyDelete