Sunday, October 4, 2009

Blessed Right Now

“Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.” Proverbs 27:1

A pair of scuffed red Doc Martens laced up mid calf stand on acorn littered cobblestones, leopard tights cling to her just right round knees. The kiss me scarlet shade of blood lipstick pops in contrast against her black and bright white habit. A burnt Marlboro in one hand and worn Holy Bible in the other. St. Mark's Episcopal Church tower casts a shadow over the park and the live bodies scatter themselves in the historic graveyard with their feet resting on tombstones and their Macs powered on.
I wonder if it is feasible for us to shock our God anymore.

The risky nun pulls back her habit to scratch her scalp and the word ZANY is shaved into her head just above her right temple. She catches my eye and sticks her ring less finger up her nose.
I alter my focus to two teenage girls in acid washed jeans, leather spiked wristbands and flashdance neckline T's meet the pizza delivery guy at the threshold of the cathedral and five or six obese pigeons take flight as the saxophonist squeaks his Avant Garde Jazz. An artist beside me sketches the outline of the stone facade.
I take a moment when I can get it. Close my eyes. And breathe.

Apart from an 11:47 AM wake up call. A Jeremy Piven poached egg and sausage spotting brunch. Unabashed banter with two beautiful girls baring their hearts and living their lives fully. A Magic Hat swallow (yes, I said it and meant it, I drink enough of these to drowned all the grotesquely large rats in New York City). My roller coaster mate grabbing my hand and thanking me for bringing him here. And with my soft and truer than true words, "Thanks for coming" still lingering. I find a half vacant park bench, watch NY move with endless energy, and remember why I leaped in the first place.

No time for the complexities of conversation
No time smiles, no time for knowing
No time for the intricacies of explanation
No time for sharing, even less for showing
If I could I'd slow the whole world down
I'd bring it to it's knees
I'd stop it spinning round
But as it is
I'm climbing up an endless wall
No time at all
No time this time. The Police

You're still young. The Ginkgo's are still green...but for how much longer?

No comments:

Post a Comment