Monday, October 19, 2009

Blond Ambition

"In everything he did he had great success, because the LORD was with him." 1 Samuel 18:14

Is ambition innate?
Can drive be learned?
It can certainly be emulated.
But the internal desire for success is something people have or lack.

I had this discussion concerning my inclinations with a high powered, extremely successful mom of three Korean career women jamming down Columbus Ave in her Audi on the way to a million dollar presentation.
In all of her years, even the formative one, success was the only option! This according to her parents. With a lineage of doctor's, lawyers, and deans before her, the pressure was astounding. Intense Motivation is all she knows and the only direction she goes.
This was thrilling and sad at the same time as it made me think of a familiar fairy tale I once read:

Once upon a time a baby girl was born on a cool Friday morning in the Lonestar state.
And her daddy rocked her in his arms and her mama sang to her lovingly.
They poured out their affection. They rejoiced in their blessings. The future was wide open.
But just being babies themselves, they found that life got in the way. Dreams didn't come to fruition. Careers didn't necessarily soar. Relationships didn't last. The money ran out.
Amongst the chaos of soul searching and life building, they looked to their little promise to lend them moral support, constant comfort, and a stiff allegiance; Often pulling her in different directions and making claims of being a "bad" daughter if she didn't come well over to their side tipping the scales and continuously rocking the boat. This pressure was often uncomfortable for the girl stuck in the middle. The years went on and the Texas Tumbleweed went where the wind blew her seeking out her own self-reliant life. Not quite "letting go" of their baby and always wanting what is best for her, mom and dad sometimes unknowingly tried to anchor her by dissuading independent thought. This was not to discourage her but to enable them and their continuing aspirations. The cycle continued....
Until one day when the adult woman awoke from a guilt ridden trance and realized this was her chance at her own future, fun, and fuck-ups. And this was OK.
The love is and will remain the same.

Even the comments like some dreams are too big and what dreams do you really have won't shut my mouth from singing....

"I am a promise. I am a possibility
I am a promise with a capital "P"
I am a great big bundle of potentiality
And I am learnin' to hear God's voice. And I am tryin' to make the right choice
I am a promise to be anything God wants me to be.
I can go anywhere that He wants me to go
I can be anything He wants me to be.
I can climb the high mountains. I can cross the wide sea
I'm a great big promise you see!"

Do you believe in you?


No comments:

Post a Comment