Monday, October 5, 2009

Blue Skies, Fair Winds

" Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:37-39

An Eastern European woman sat down next to me on a worn wooden bench waiting for the Rockaway bound L train and made the standard small talk approach... "Beautiful Day, isn't it?" I looked up from my liberally written article in New York Magazine and gave my best Stepford Wife reply. "Why yes, it's simply wonderful fall weather."
Satisfied with my warm response, she prodded. "Let me ask you a question? Could you stand to make more money?"
Here we go...
"Doing what?" I smugly asked..
"Simple, working with people."
"I don't like people." And with that I squeezed in between a healthy herd of them all celebrating quitting time.
Job description still unknown....

Do you ever have those abundantly filled days when you truly love and embrace mankind?
Those days where you honor people, their existence in the world, their family of origin, and recognize that all of us will have a demise and success? Not withstanding, we each have two eyes, two ears, one nose, one mouth and share the same range of emotions.
Oh the days when you pull way back and hover over this remarkable blue and green Earth, see it for one planet, one people, and decide the conflict that runs ramped amongst us like beings is impossible to fathom or understand.
Like it or not. Same Creator. Same blood. Same fight at life.
Yes, it pains me that most people's counter argument to my faith is that most terror, war, violence, hate, is about whose God reigns. And while this is true, this is man's pride, not God's problem. And we can change that. Don't we know someone who had the idea long before...Imagine all the people living life in peace?
Today, not even the Middle Eastern cabbie yelling in my face that I had no sense could pierce my mood. Yep, it's days like these when the sage request of Rodney King speaks volumes and my tolerance threshold is vast.

Sometimes I don't speak too bright
but yet I know what I'm talking about
Why can't we be friends? WAR

Would you feel the same way if you had Monday off?

No comments:

Post a Comment