Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Attitude Adjustment Bureau

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2-3

Now I know a fine Irishmen from Massachusetts who is built tough. Broad shoulders, chiseled jaw, gorgeous grin, and a down to earth infectious spirit that make you want to be near him. Today, I met another one.

You've heard of mood swings right? How about morale swings?
They are similar to the evil former but with a devastating difference.
Morale swings drastically plunge at the drop of a boot and rapidly rise in a eyelash flutter.
While they are fleeting, the flooring and soaring is too too INTENSE.

It's five in the morning. I'm on a BK bound F Train to Dumbo playing another blue collar political supporter in a suspense thriller. It's cold and a cattle call. No waiver wages. And the East River has white caps. Runny eggs in the dark and lukewarm coffee out of an old Igloo cooler. Wander through the heatless tent searching for elbow room and find my corner in between the wardrobe and in the line of fire of the screeching production assistant with a megaphone. Run into a buxom blond whom I've worked with before. I tell her my woes of not getting union work. She pats me on my back and delivers her wondrous news that she just landed a part on the show I'm seeking. I put my head down only to be alerted with snapping fingers from the crazy train across from me telling me she will entertain me to keep me awake. Great.
I tell her I'm praying. And then I do.
Lord, what the hell am I doing?

It's six in the evening. I'm standing on the promenade under the remarkable Brooklyn Bridge. Staring out at a setting sun over a clear blue view of downtown Manhattan. My cheeks are pink from the 65 degree (heat) that lingered all day. I've shaken Matt Damon's hand four times and patted him on the ass, just kidding, the back a handful of times. He grabs my elbow and smiles. We both agree Red Sox rock. Stop the shot for an audio break as Marine One flies over and lands at South Street Port. I lean over the edge of the railing as the East River laps against the boardwalk, the coast guards mans the water and President Obama's motorcades pulls in to load him up and take him away from his PR stop in NY Another actor grabs me as I'm downing an endless supply of jelly belly's as we are wrapping at a reasonable hour. She tells me I had serious face time on Ugly Betty's premier.
My phone rings. I get a call to work Friday.
I bow my head.
Lord, thank you for all you're doing.


How you like them apples?
**Good Will Hunting

No comments:

Post a Comment