Friday, October 30, 2009

And a Cherry On Top

"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:33

Ahhh the freaks come out at night...
I thought the Eve of Halloween would be a mellow night but instead I'm elbowing through a pack of vampire freaks, dirty gorillas in Hawaiian t-shirts, Ziggy Stardust LSD wannabees, slutty pale nurses, and one balloon boy just to get to the door of my third floor walk up.

Here's what makes this city infectious for a running ramped gal like me.

I down two cups of Mud via my long lost french press at 6 AM. Intercept priceless art for the Lincoln Center Benefit on the upper west side at 8 in the morning, argue with two Latino's over the fact that yes they worked hard doing their job carrying a 1,000 lb marble bar up two flights of stairs and ruining an original banister but I will not pay them $20 a floor no matter how much they are sweating at noon, grab a $1 slice of the cheesiest thin crust New York namesake sustenance in the late afternoon, drop the keys off to gracious host so Wynton Marsalis can set up his jam band on 50th, run right past the Naked Cowboy to meet my husband at Times Square for the resume head shot hand off at rush hour, only to skip 5 blocks past the remaining Manhattan titty bars post Giuliani for my first OFF, OFF Broadway Theater production audition called Sex, Relationships, and Sometimes Love with the crazed director who likes my energy, runs his fingers through his long grey locks, yells with purpose, and promises a call back.
Dart back East to hug the necks of my aunt and first cousins here for the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Concert and get the affirmation that my strong desire of satisfying this song and dance runs through my genetic blood and I'm not just crazy.
Hop the 1 train to sleepy hollow West Village to perch at the Little Owl, relish in French Pinot Noir, meatball sliders, and the crispiest, most seasoned pomme frites fried in duck fat one can consume. Stroll hand in hand devouring warm chocolate chip cookies to the breathtaking Washington Square Arch that stands tall at the end of Fifth Avenue, walk into the dried up fountain and soak up the glowing ORANGE Empires Spire set to an accordions sound.
Still early, I try on wigs, masks, tacky sweaters, slinky girls scouts uniforms, and haggle with the Indian Kiosk owners who insist I buy The Romantics circa 1982 sunglasses for "goot pwice".
Empty handed but satiated nonetheless, I call it a night.

I AM BLESSED.

" A man can withstand almost anything except a succession of ordinary days."
Goethe

Could you keep up?

No comments:

Post a Comment